If you have 72 hours to spend in County Galway, Ireland,1. you’re very lucky, and 2. you’ll have plenty of time to explore its beautiful landscapes, vibrant cities, and rich cultural heritage.
Here’s a suggested itinerary, from the Unique Irish Homes team, to make the most of your time in County Galway:
Day 1: Morning:
- Start your day in Galway City, the lively capital of County Galway. Take a stroll through the charming streets of the city center, explore the colorful Latin Quarter, and admire the historic landmarks such as the Spanish Arch and Galway Cathedral.
- Visit the Galway City Museum to learn about the history and culture of the region. The museum offers fascinating exhibitions that showcase the city’s heritage.
- Head west to Connemara, a stunning region known for its rugged landscapes and pristine lakes. Drive along the scenic Sky Road, which offers breathtaking views of the coastline and surrounding mountains.
- Visit Kylemore Abbey, a magnificent castle-turned-abbey nestled in the heart of Connemara. Explore the beautiful gardens, walk around the tranquil lake, and learn about the abbey’s fascinating history.
- Return to Galway City and immerse yourself in its vibrant nightlife. The city is renowned for its traditional Irish music scene, so find a pub with live music and enjoy an authentic Irish pub experience. Check out these great Galway restaurants for dinner. Galway has a thriving culinary scene, so you’ll find a wide range of dining options to suit your taste.
Day 2: Morning:
- Embark on a day trip to the Aran Islands, located off the coast of Galway. Take a ferry from Rossaveal or Doolin and explore one of the three islands: Inishmore, Inishmaan, or Inisheer. Rent a bike or hire a horse-drawn carriage to tour the island’s rugged landscapes, ancient forts, and picturesque villages.
- Visit the Cliffs of Moher, one of Ireland’s most iconic natural landmarks. Though not technically in County Galway (it’s in neighboring County Clare), the cliffs are easily accessible from Galway City. Enjoy breathtaking views from the cliff edges, take a walk along the coastal paths, and visit the interactive visitor center to learn about the local wildlife and geology.
- Return to Galway City and savor a delicious seafood dinner in one of the city’s many acclaimed seafood restaurants. Galway is renowned for its fresh seafood, so make sure to try specialties like Galway Bay oysters and traditional fish and chips at McDonaghs.
Day 3: Morning:
- Explore the picturesque Connemara National Park. Take a hike through the park’s trails, enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains, and keep an eye out for Connemara ponies and other wildlife.
- Visit the charming village of Clifden, known as the “Capital of Connemara.” Explore the town’s colorful streets lined with shops, art galleries, and traditional pubs. Take a leisurely drive along the Sky Road for stunning coastal views.
- If you have time, consider taking a boat tour of the stunning Killary Fjord, Ireland’s only fjord. The fjord is located on the border of County Galway and County Mayo and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
- Return to Galway City and enjoy a farewell dinner in one of the city’s many excellent restaurants (we suggest Ard Bia) and soak in the last evening in gorgeous Galway. Maybe grab a trad session at Tigh Neachtain!
This itinerary offers a mix of city exploration, natural beauty, and cultural experiences, allowing you to make the most of your 72 hours in County Galway. However, feel free to customize it based on your interests and preferences!
For more Galway recommendations, check out our TikTok guide here.